Alive by Piers Paul Read

Synopsis: Story of the young men who survived the 1972 plane crash into the Andes mountains.

Writing Style: Reporter storytelling style

Pacing: Moderately fast 

Personal Highlights: I read this book as a challenge to read a story where I saw the movie first. For starters, the book is far more detailed than the movie. Because I saw the movie (shortly after this devastating event) in the 70’s when I was quite young, my memory may not be the best. With that, I don’t recall the religious aspects of this story, as introduced in the opening. The book also covers more in depth the perspectives of the passengers, who by the way were far younger than remembered. In relation to their beliefs and how they dealt with struggles to survive made a difference when considering the conflicts and decisions disclosed. Overall, both the movie and book were well told, and effective, despite the book exploring and explaining intricate aspects of this event that film could never capture... at least not in 90 or so minutes. Engaging telling of events.

Comments

Popular Posts